Monday, January 26, 2009

When "less" is more...

















First things first, I have a bias toward these guys. In the spirit of full disclosure, I know them pretty well. A couple of them are the kids of one of my good friends so, they’re pretty much family.


That being said, they are great guys and make fantastic music. They’re in full rotation in my car along side MB 20, Gin Blossoms, Collective Soul and Harry Connick. (Yeah, Harry Connick)


Here’s the “more” part.


Simple question, “What’s the deal with the name?”


About 15 seconds into Zac’s answer, he stopped being “Todd’s kid who plays music” and became my link to something way bigger than I thought. I know the values he’s been raised on so, his understanding of where he fits in the grand scheme of things didn’t surprise me.


What got my attention was his humility and resolve to make a difference. These guys “get it”. No ego. No bravado. Believe me folks, if anyone could have a big head it’s these guys. Good looking, talented and just old enough to be dangerous. Usually a toxic blend but not this time.


Kids and dogs. I’ve always thought that kids and dogs were the true test of character. They don’t have the filters and the biases that adults build into “character judging”. So far they have passed my two toughest tests; my son Jordan and my dog Bailey. Jordan and his friends love them! (Try being cool or relevant to a group of 14 year olds). Bailey likes them too. (I think someone was feeding her BBQ at the cookout.)


I say all that, to say this...charismatic leaders are hard to find. Charismatic people, a dime a dozen. These guys have the potential to lead young and old in a truly positive direction. Just in time if you ask me. A new weapon in the fight against an increasingly toxic society.


The less is not a band, it’s a movement. Keep an eye on these guys, they’ll be big.


http://www.myspace.com/theless